Friday, January 29, 2016

Kiss me like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art


Kiss me like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art

This book is a beautiful, honest and open biography by Gene Wilder. It addresses areas in acting, love, OCD and mental issues, cancer, art and other important events in his life with immense clarity and truthfulness that will snag your heart and keep you engaged until the very end of the book. It will leave you wanting to know so much more about Mr. Wilder and his life. I have been a fan of his for a long time, since I was very little. I have always been a big Mel Brooks fan and in turn a big Gene Wilder fan. I knew about Gilda Radner through my insanely talents comedienne sister but this book gave an honest look at what it feels like to be a caregiver who is tortured by his love and his own thoughts on deserving love and being a selfish person. My sister recommended this book to me because of their relationship and her impact on survivors everywhere.  In this book, he does not paint the picture of being the loyal caregiver full of unending love. He is flawed, he feels torn, he feels hurt, and from what I interpreted from the book- undeserving of the love he is getting on any front. It was not until I became a survivor that I really understood this and how difficult it can be on all involved and how much she did for the cancer community and it was nice to see the story from his side of her story. I want to read Gilda’s book because I want to see how she viewed his actions since she had unquestionable love for him.  The book also discusses Wilder’s own cancer story in the end. The best part of this book is truly its honesty. Wilder never shys away from the truth even if it paints him in a bad light. He addresses his own fears, his own faults. He is not painted as a noble hero, but as a flawed individual that is essentially human.   It is not a funny book, it is a truthful book.  Plus there is a wonderful amount of photos showing the complexity of his life and how many people truly cared about him and what a diverse life he has had. If you are looking for funny and entertaining, this is not the book for you. However if you want an honest look at someone who made movies that changes lives, and you are willing to accept that he may not be the hero you always loved then this is the book for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment