Thursday, January 28, 2016

My Lobotomy


My Lobotomy

I picked this book up at Borders and it was 100% based on the title and the cover picture. It is the first time in a long time I have bought a book full price and I think the book’s story more than made it up to me. The book is a first person biography of a man trying to come to terms with why he was given a lobotomy at 12 years old. It is also a fascinating story of the history of a lobotomy which is a procedure that has always made my skin crawl. The only thing that hurt this book for me was that my sister read the ending and then made a comment to me that I will not write here for fear of ruining it for any of you. However, this made me question throughout the whole book the whole time I was reading. The book is a great little read and would make ideal waiting room reading as it is also about a man who has went through his share of problems, more than his share in fact, and came out good on the other side. The book is written in plan speak and really adds to the connection you feel with Mr. Dully
Best Lines from the book: from the back cover what sold me: “My name is Howard Dully. In 1960, when I was twelve years old, I was given a lobotomy. My stepmother arranged it, my father agreed to it. Dr. Walter Freeman, the man who invented the “ice pick” lobotomy performed it. My family paid the hospital $200. And I never understood why. I wasn’t a violent kid. I never hurt anyone. I wasn’t failing school. Was there something I had done that was horrible enough to deserve a lobotomy? I asked myself that question for more than forty years. Then, when I turned fifty-four, I went looking for answers. <-- Now tell me that didn’t make you want to pick this book up and learn why he got a lobotomy as a child?! Why anyone would do that to another person?!

No comments:

Post a Comment