Thursday, January 28, 2016

Cancer on $5 a day *Chemo not included


Cancer on $5 A Day *Chemo not included

Robert Schimmel is hilarious. Flat out hilarious. I had heard him on the Howard Stern before and I thought he was so funny, but then I kind of lost sight of him and when I found this book I didn’t even recognize it as the same person. Little know fact about me I LOVE comedians, LOVE them, used to spend (and still can at hotels since we don’t have cable anymore) doing nothing but watching hours and hours of comedy central comedians. However ask me who my favorites are and I will draw a complete blank as to their names. I know some of the bigger comedians and I know Jeff Dunham because they kept saying JeffdunHAMDOTCOM. I can recognize comedians I have seen before and I recognize their material but I draw a complete blank until they start going. It is actually a big weakness of mine that I try very hard to correct but it wont work! Anyway, back to the book. I literally bought this book to get the free shipping on Amazon with my order and I am now so very glad that I did, this book is EXCELLENT! Just excellent. I had to sound like an internet loser speaking that awful internet language but it has been so long since a book has made me laugh out loud, but I did I laughed and I laughed hard. He is witty, punchy and just keeps you entertained the whole book. Even during the parts where there is sadness and you feel yourself tearing up he will hit you with a one liner that will make you smile. I wish that I could meet him and tell him that I think his book is just amazing. I have always had a sense of humor with my diagnosis but nothing even remotely close to where he stands. I think I am a pretty funny gal, people tell me I am at least, my husband thinks I am funny, but I could never be a comedian, I am just not at that level. However this book follows Robert from his diagnosis all the way to his first show after treatment and then some. He divulges a large amount of personal details in a way that makes you laugh and feel like perhaps your own story fits into that same humorous approach. He also explores many different alternative and what conventional medicines would see as strange treatments to which he recommends as “a mini mind trip, a mental vacation” including reiki, crystal therapy, guided meditation, acupuncture. Not all of these helped, especially the crystal therapy, but they each gave him a different look at something that could be helping. As he told his doctor “a lot of people believe in Reiki. I’m just saying. What the hell? Why not?” He is very observant and helpful in this book at providing a firsthand look at a lot of pieces people do not think about, such as doctors limited knowledge of nutrition and the over prescribing of antibiotic, I have seen this first hand over and over with my husband.  As he says “just because Dr. Lugo thinks it’s a bunch of mumbo jumbo doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.” He very much enjoys the peace he receives from his alternative treatments and I think anyone who is interested will gain a nice insight with this book. Overall the book not only achieves its purpose but annihilates it. It does just make you laugh, it makes you laugh out loud.  He also has lots of life advice but overall this is his story, including back story about how he lost his son to cancer. He opens up so clearly that I wonder how it was to edit this book. I wonder if he went on and on like me and then the co writer had to wrangle him in to make a cohesive book out of it. He just shares so much and it flows so nicely but still read as if he is talking to you and not just writing a book about his story. He jumps forward and says things like well get to that later and it all lines up like a real life conversation would. I highly recommend this book and I think it would be a good read for anyone not just survivors.  He also offers great advice about those times when it is impossible to be positive all the time. “Well yes, you can in an instant is replaced with no, you can’t. Because sometimes you just can’t. These are practical issues. And there are fantasy and reality. You can’t be fooled into thinking that anything is possible armed with only a positive attitude. That may be the definition of insanity.” Perfect. It is so very true, sometimes you just can’t, and you have to allow yourself to “cant” (I know that doesn’t make grammatical sense, but you get what I am saying!!). It isn’t very long and is a very quick read, even me, who is a slow visualizing reader, busted it out in about a week.
Warning though, this book contains adult language that is not suitable for children or adults who are easily offended. It is a real reaction book, and from the final parts I believe it was even downed a bit to make it not AS bad, but it is all for the laughs and for coping with the diagnosis, so if you cant take it DON’T buy this book. Here is a video of him for you to decide if it is your cup of tea. Personally I think he is awesome!  Plus he is another awesome Jew! As any of you are close to me, my family is a non practicing Jewish family, meaning we married into Christians and they won the religious control. :-P However, my sister is a good Jew, :-D
robertschimmel
Best Insight about Beating Cancer with Alternative Treatments: 
Im pretty sure I discovered the cure for cancer.
Yanni.
If I beat this thing, it’s because the cancer cells couldn’t stand Yanni anymore.

Best Quote: “Doesn’t matter how rich or famous you are, cancer is an equal opportunity shit sandwich”

Best Dr. Quote: “Well, if you can find something funny the moment you get diagnosed, you’re going to be ok.” I believe this is true, I found something funny and I am still kicking! :P

Best Analogy of Life:
 After getting stung by a bee on the beach.
“The key to life in a nutshell: Life is good. It really is, But sometimes you get stung” and the final lines of the book “Life ain’t about the bee. It’s about the beach.”

No comments:

Post a Comment